Paul Franklin Loses It

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Weight 248: A Few Tips for Healthy Work Trips

MT. EVEREST, HERE I COME!

     This past week, I flew to Dallas, TX for work.

     To give you a little background: Often, we stay in some type of extended stay hotel, which will include breakfast, lunch (work provided), and dinner. There aren't many food options and the ones they organize for us are delicious, but not necessarily ideal for getting lean. This also includes networking with co-workers from across the country of whom we see a few times a year. After we work together all day... we usually have a few late nights of beers & networking with 'let's not talk about work' discussions that almost always lead back to work... and are very worthwhile. It is easy to have a great week with a heavy mental workout and very little weight-loss/health focus... and I wouldn't expect it. This usually makes it that much harder to be fit.

      I worked out more this week than I have in months. Each day, I ran/jogged at least 7 miles. My soft goal right now is to go at least 7 miles per day for endurance and do something else for strength.

Going into the week, I was thinking I would work out in the mornings and be energized for class. FAIL.  Though that was probably the best way to go; I instead worked out immediately after training.

We finished at 5pm, so I would go to my room, get gym clothes on & go work out for an hour. Therefore, I missed 'making plans' for the night & had to call others to meet up with them after dinner. Because of this, I missed the 'local' fast-food and ate a huge salad at the hotel. Because I skipped dinner, they were already a few drinks into the night, so everyone was nice & loosened up when I joined in later. Good plan. (And I saved some money by eating at the hotel & not out at a restaurant.)

The small workout room included a few treadmills, free weights, and an elliptical. I would spent 30 minutes on the treadmill & 30 min. on the elliptical. It was easier than I thought to find time to work out. Especially after telling a few people who asked WHY I was working out. (Everest BC Training!) (News spread quickly, too.)

During class, I would work abs by slightly lifting my legs off my chair. It did work my abs to a point where I felt it the next day. My heart rate wasn't raised above 105 bpm, which is not the ideal weight-loss range. However, some resistance is better than none. My Samsung phone has a heart monitor on it & I would routinely check my pulse. (It only takes a few seconds to put your finger on the scanner and press 'go'... and this was easily done (and not distracting) many times during the day. This was also nice to see the bpm during high & low stress times of class.)

I ate more salad & drank less. I lost 2 lbs. and took 1 hour... I'm home now & gained a lb. from last night to this posting.

I'll be getting a Dr. physical soon regarding what I need to do to be in top shape & I'll follow up with them in August/early September as well.

Want to help me get to Mt Everest?

No comments:

Post a Comment