Paul Franklin Loses It

Thursday, May 28, 2015

134 Days - Mt. Everest Earthquake

I haven't mentioned the friend I would be trekking Everest with in my blogs because I was respecting his privacy. However, now that he's all over the news... here's his story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-sta-stuck-in-nepal-palos-st-0430-20150429-story.html

Some of the names in the group we dubbed 'BAMBOO 27'
Long story short, Corey was hiking in a remote region of Langtang National Park when the 7.8 Earthquake struck Kathmandu. He and 26 others were stranded by a teahouse called Bamboo on their way to Lama Hotel. Huddled for 5 days on a cliff, they awaited rescue. It's been a long 5 days here. After researching and discovering where Corey was seen, friends and family of Corey pushed the US Embassy, politicians, media, and anyone we could to rescue this group of 27 people.

Friends reached out to others across the world and we did everything we could to get Corey rescued. Luckily, at about 1:30am and 5 days after they were stuck, 4 helicopters rescued all remaining people who were stranded by Bamboo.

The trails across Everest are largely demolished. At this time the Everest climb is probably put on hold. Further, since the earthquake, my family, and mostly my wife, has put increasing pressure on me to not do the trek due to the extreme nature and unstable terrain.

I am incredibly saddened by retracting my campaign.

_________________

Update as of 5/23/15:

Unfortunately, due to the constant avalanches, earthquakes that are still occurring, and for the love of

my life & family, my Mt. Everest trek is not happening this year. Though the Nepali government says it's okay to climb, many of the ice doctors who fix the trails refuse to climb or hike on Everest for the remainder of the year. ... and their only income comes from Mountain tourism. There is something to be said for those who risk their lives daily when they decide they would rather go without pay for the rest of the year than get paid & die on the Mountain.
I will get there eventually, just not this year. Sagarmatha has spoken and she needs her beauty rest.
_________________

Funds that were donated are being 1) returned 2) given to Fitzgerald Cancer Fund or 3) being donated to Nepali relief efforts. If you have donated and I have not spoken to you yet regarding your funds, please contact me. There were some anonymous donors and some others whom I have been unable to contact. If I do not hear from you, I will keep the funds aside for the future trip. 

_________________

I OFFER A GIGANTIC THANK YOU OF SUPPORT TO: 

Big Frog T-Shirts in Shorewood, IL (http://bigfrog.com/shorewood) for their donations and printing of our banners at no cost.


A HUGE Thank you to:

  • Joyce Franklin
  • Kumon Math and Reading (http://www.kumon.com)
  • Lifestart Fitness of Oakbrook, IL (http://www.lifestart.net/oakbrook/) 
  • Master Artist, Chung Liu (http://mastakojo.tumblr.com/)
  • Lees
  • Diane T.
  • Rhonda M.
  • Pat & Max Hodges
  • And the other 'anonymous' donors, who have graced the Everest or Bust Fundraising Site.

No comments:

Post a Comment