Paul Franklin Loses It

Friday, April 10, 2015

Countdown to Climb Mount Everest: 152 days. - Exercise Routine.





The 680 steps at the Oakbrook Tower missed me today. It was my hope to improve my timing (14 min. per lap) and distance (1.5 laps) on the steps since I feel much stronger today. Unfortunately, I was busy at work until about 7pm, when I decided to come home.

Once home, I hung out with the family... and once I put the kids to bed, I came down for a workout. My goal, since I'll be busy for a good part of tomorrow, was to kick my butt today.

I began with a 30 minute Les Mills POWER Workout. (Kickboxing, boxing, karate, and other martial arts.) I was feeling good. The workout was much easier today that it has been in the past. I challenge myself and use 5lb weights for all the boxing moves. It doesn't seem like much, but after 300-500 punches, you feel the burn. Again, I don't want bulk, I want stamina... so I was okay dropping to 3 lbs. in the last 5 minutes when I couldn't hold up my arms anymore.

I cooled down, stretched... and then immediately warmed up for a run/walk. Tonight's movie was OFFICE SPACE. I turned it up &  hit the treadmill: 4 miles, 50-55 minutes (I accidentally hit the emergency stop & lost my numbers at some point, so I turned it on and kept going.) 1,300+ vertical feet. (More 10* incline than last time & more running @ 6 mph @ 10*, too.) I want to be able to run a 5k at 10*. I'll get there.


Buying The Right Clothes for Mount Everest: I was told earlier today by someone who is actually IN Kathmandu right now that clothing and items needed are a fraction of the price in Kathmandu than in the US. For example: Northface pants are $20-$30, not $80-$120. Though at this point I feel it's very unprepared of me to do so, I'm toying with the idea of purchasing many items once I'm in Kathmandu to save money. Minimizing my costs puts more in the pockets of families through Fitzgerald Cancer Fund. (http://www.fitzgeraldcancerfund.org

New Sponsor!
Kumon Math and Reading (http://www.kumon.com) will be running a fundraiser through July for me! Wahoo! I'm excited and hope to place a banner of theirs on Mount Everest.

Nutritionist:
I spoke with Sheri Berger from A Better Balance last night. I've been frustrated that my weight isn't dropping as much as I feel it should... and that my body seems to not be reacting as quickly as it used to. (Age is no excuse!) (I'm 232 right now and haven't been able to get below 230. Though I'm more interested in stamina, I'm hoping my weight can drop to about 200 - 210 before I go.) She was very helpful and I look forward to future consultations. (This could be a whole blog post of it's own soon.)

Time for bed. I am speaking at an awards ceremony tomorrow and need to get some rest.

live fully & goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment